The UW’s finance data domain was the first to launch a domain council in February of 2021. The council is led by a domain council chair with members who are both sub-domain stewards and subject-matter experts. Learn more about the UW’s stewardship model.
Topics & Initiatives
- Reviewing key Finance terms that need technical and business definitions, logic, and arbitration.
- Documenting concerns specific to the domain, and cross-domain, as well as possible solutions, to share with the UW Data Governance (UWDG) Operations Committee.
- Documenting business and technical requirements, as needed, and recommending solutions.
Meeting Topics & Outcomes
- Cost Center Hierarchy to IOS mapping: the technical lead has met with the Office of Planning & Budgeting (OPB) and mapping is in progress, with an initial draft expected summer 2023. Research Compliance Operations has also worked with OPB to map the IOS and load this mapping into the Core Data Hierarchy Management (CDHM) tool. Note that progress from FDDC over the next 6-8 months will be limited to FT Go-Live and stabilization activities.
- FDM Change Sub-council: the sub-council was tasked with developing a RACI and process documentation as part of a Financial Data Model (FDM) change management system, to include intake, review and analysis, approval, Workday execution, and notifications, based upon the roles identified in the RACI.
- The sub-council shared a draft RACI and process in March 2023
- In June 2023, the sub-council presented a finalized RACI and process that confirmed the FDM values, the RACI roles involved, and the workflows including use of the FDM UW Connect form and Shared Environments. The process includes FDM Change control transition, a workflow overview with Visio diagrams, and an FDM change workflow “At a Glance” organized by worktag
- FDM Change Sub-council: work is underway on a RACI and process documentation.
- Term vetting: Terms have been batched and sent to SMEs for review. Keith Van Eaton is charged with designing the ongoing term vetting process.
- FWS access: For outbound web services, FDDC leadership agreed that Finance DATAGroup will be responsible for approving access of outbound integrations. A log will be kept of approvals granted/denied. For inbound web services, inbound integrations to Workday are for Journals and ISDs. More information gathering is underway so that the right groups can be selected and coordinated with those doing these approvals in Workday.
- Core Data: FDDC members reviewed and prioritized “top 10” finance-related core data elements.
- Cost Center Hierarchy to IOS mapping: the technical lead will be meeting with OPB at the end of March to understand what work still needs to be done. Research Compliance Operations worked with OPB to map IOS to level 4 and the revised IOS has been loaded into the Core Data Hierarchy Management (CDHM) tool.
- Core Data: in support of the DG Operations Committee project, the technical lead is preparing a list of finance-related core data elements which the council will review and prioritize in January 2023.
- FDDC security and access: the council endorsed the Workday Security Plan, a formal recommendation of Workday analyst/reporting roles that align with the FDDC security and access team’s framework for access financial data. Security Taskforce work is mostly non-FT; IT will do pre-work with the technical and WorkDay leads as their preliminary connection point and decisions around roles and access.
- Cost Center Hierarchy to IOS mapping: the technical lead has completed an initial association/mapping between the IOS straw model from 2021, and CCH. Research Compliance Operations is working with OPB on mapping IOS to level 4 and uploading the IOS into the Core Data Hierarchy Management (CDHM) tool, currently used for Funding Entity management across Research and GCA, as hierarchy management software.
- Reporting Strategy: the technical lead drafted an enterprise reporting strategy for the council to review.
- FDM Change Sub-council: the council approved the charter and work transitioned to FT for coordination.
- Term vetting: the council provided final approvals on a few terms related to Institutional Overhead reports that are being released (not associated with future state Workday terms). For those that had amendments, the council reviewed and added suggestions.
- FDM: the council met with FDM representatives to review work tags and assign FDDC owners. Still to be determined is the council’s role in FDM Change Management efforts.
- Term vetting: Work is continuing, and UW FT is engaged in helping to align the terms used in WorkDay and other reports
- Cost center hierarchy mapping: The DATAGroup has begun mapping Cost Center Hierarchy to levels 1-3 of the IOS and will align with IOS level 4 as it is finalized
- FDDC Security and Access working group: The team is continuing its work. Due to design constraints in WorkDay including with payroll journal detail, UWFT is doing design evaluations and is following up with WorkDay on options
- FDM Change sub-council: Charter has been reviewed in preparation for charging this group
During 2022 the council will be addressing these topics and projects:
- Reviewing terms and financial hierarchies for WorkDay
- IOS mapping
- Security awareness, Data Model management & web access
- Financial data governance operational guidelines
Current Finance Data Domain Stewards and Council Members
The finance data domain, like all UW data domains, is led by an institutional data steward and a data domain council chair, who are members of the Data Governance Steering Committee and Data Governance Operations Committee, respectively. The data domain council is made up of sub-domain stewards and subject-matter experts.
Institutional Domain Steward
Sarah Norris Hall, Vice Provost, Office Planning & Budgeting
Ann Anderson, Associate Vice President, UW Finance, Chair
Doug Divine, Director, Data Group, Finance, Content Lead
Elise Glassman, Project Manager, Office of Planning & Budgeting, Administrative Support
Dinah Milliken, Data Solutions Engineer, UW Finance
|Director, Procurement Services, UW Finance
|Assistant Director, Banking and Accounting Operations
|Asset Liability Management
|Associate Vice President, UW Finance Mark Park, Assistant Director, Banking and Accounting Operations, UW Finance
|Assistant Vice Provost, Office of Planning and Budgeting
|Finance Data Model
|Senior Accounting Analyst, Financial Reporting, UW Finance
Transactions Related to Payroll
|Director, Program Operations, Integrated Service Center
|Senior Accounting Analyst, Financial Reporting, UW Finance
|Grant & Cost Accounting
|Executive Director, Research Compliance & Operations, UW Finance Controller’s Office
Subject-Matter Experts and Ex-Officio Members
|Senior Director, Institutional Planning and Budget, UW Bothell
|Enterprise Finance Officer & Associate Vice President, UW Medicine Finance Administration
|Director, UW Medicine Finance & Budget
Finance Data Domain Council Charge
The Finance data domain council is charged with developing a cohesive approach to stewarding the University’s financial data — an approach that derives the most value from financial data while managing risk. Members have a one-year appointment. Read the full charge letter for details.
Shared Resources for Domain Council Members
Members of the domain council can access relevant resources in a private Teams channel.